Campaign raises more than $50,000 for staff in St. Maarten affected by recent hurricanes
LITTLE BAY — Divi Little Bay Beach Resort staff along with a local union representative gathered Monday, November 6, to receive checks from GoFundMe campaign donations.
Set up to assist employees in rebuilding their lives on St. Maarten following devastating hurricanes, the GoFundMe campaign has now raised more than $50,000. $49,025 of the donated funds — the amount in the campaign at the time checks were cut — were equally distributed amongst staff, with the exception of upper management, who chose to opt out.
“We thank everyone who donated from the bottom of our hearts,” said Madeleine Jacob, hostess and cashier at Divi Little Bay’s pureocean Restaurant.
Jacob says this money will help her family recover from the catastrophic effects of Hurricane Irma and other storms.
“I lost my roof and lots of my belongings,” Jacobs said. “This will help with the rebuilding of my home. Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
The GoFundMe campaign will remain open for anyone who still wishes to donate to the cause.
The resort is expected to reopen and welcome back guests in May 2018.
To see more photos with this article visit http://www.stmaartennews.com.
About Divi Resorts
Divi Resorts is the vacation expert of the Caribbean, with a collection of eight premium resorts spanning the five stunning Caribbean islands of Aruba, Barbados, Bonaire, St. Croix, and St. Maarten. For more information on Divi Resorts, call 1-800-367-3484 or visit www.diviresorts.com.
Latest posts by Admin (see all)
- St. Maarten Tourist Bureau Hosts Workshop with TripAdvisor and Expedia for Island’s Tourism Private Sector - September 2, 2019
- Ministry TEATT host Destination Marketing strategy meeting - August 21, 2019
- Electric rental cars – a first for St. Maarten and the Dutch Caribbean - May 27, 2019
- STB opens booth at Regatta Village serving as information mecca for visitors and sailors - February 25, 2019
- Mein Schiff 6 Captain Boddger amazed with rebuilding effort - April 9, 2018